The photographers whose work was selected for THE FENCE – and are included in this slideshow are:
Alejandra Carles-Tolra, Alejandro Chaskielberg, Anne Berry, Anne-Sophie Stolz, Barry Rosenthal, Bojune Kwon, Brenda Islas, Dirk Anschütz, Elizabeth Herman, Elliot Ross, Emily Schiffer, Erik Klein Wolterink, Gesche Würfel, Gregg Segal, Ilona Szwarc, Jeffrey Stockbridge, Jens Sundheim, Jonathan Auch, Julia Curtin, Kerry Mansfield, Landon Nordeman, MASTODON (Massimo Mastrorillo / Donald Weber), Melissa Cacciola, Michelle Pedone, Nick Ballon, Nicolo Sertorio, Peter Andrew Lusztyk, Robert Rutoed, Rudolf Strobl, Sarah Baley, Simon Willms, Stefania Mattu, Teri Havens, Timothy Fadek, Tina Schula, Tom Atwood, Winnie Au.
In celebration of the launch of PHOTOVILLE, United Photo Industries joined forces with Photo District News and Brooklyn Bridge Park to curate and produce THE FENCE, a summer-long outdoor photo exhibition that attracted an audience of more than one million visitors!
We invited photographers of all levels to explore the theme of ‘community’ and THE FENCE was their answer. Photographs were submitted into 5 categories: Home, Streets, People, Creatures & Play.
Out of an astonishing number of submissions the jury selected powerful works that speak to the importance and essence of ‘community’. We hope you will enjoy and love these as much as we do!
This year’s Grand Prize Jury Winner is Simon Willms for his series Minor League, and the People’s Choice Winner is Ilona Szwarc for her series American Girls
Printed on photographic mesh by Duggal Visual Solutions and measuring more than 1000ft in length, THE FENCE is a public photographic installation like no other! The exhibition began at Pier 1 and continued along the walkway to the uplands of Pier 3.
The Fence remained on display from June through August 2012, attracting an audience of more than one million visitors.
We would like to acknowledge our amazing panel of judges for their time, energy and passion for photography:
- Rebecca Wilson – Director, Saatchi Gallery
- Krzysztof Candrowicz – Director, Lodz Fotofestiwal
- Irene Kromhout – Exhibitions Coordinator, Noorderlicht Festival
- Laura Moya – Executive Director, Photolucida
- Ihiro Hayami – Chief Editor, PHaT Photo Magazine
- Kate Edwards – Picture Editor, Guardian Weekend Magazine
- Michael Itkoff – Editor, Daylight Magazine
- Ariel Shanberg – Director, Center for Photography at Woodstock
- Elisabeth Biondi – Independent Curator
- Marcel Saba – Director, Redux Images
- Adriana Teresa Letorney – Publisher, Visura Magazine
- Leonor Mamanna – Photo Editor, New York Magazine
- Dana Faconti – Editor & Publisher, Blind Spot Magazine
- Jeff Moore – Northeast Territory Manager, Lomography
Additional support and awesome prizes have been provided by: TwoTrees Management, Duggal Visual Solutions, Lomography, Adorama, FotoVisura, Conveyor Arts, and the Dumbo BID
United Photo Industries (UPI) is a New York based nonprofit organization that works to promote a wider understanding of, and increased access to, the art of photography.
Since its founding in 2011, UPI has rapidly solidified its position in the public art landscape by continuing to showcase thought-provoking, challenging, and exceptional photography from across the globe. In its first seven years, UPI has presented the work of more than 2,500 visual artists in gallery exhibitions and public art installations worldwide.
THE FENCE at Photoville
Featuring: Various ArtistsView Location Details Brooklyn Bridge Park – Pier 3
This location is part of Brooklyn Bridge Park
Explore other locations and exhibitions nearby
- Monday 6:00 am - 1:00 am
- Tuesday 6:00 am - 1:00 am
- Wednesday 6:00 am - 1:00 am
- Thursday 6:00 am - 1:00 am
- Friday 6:00 am - 1:00 am
- Saturday 6:00 am - 1:00 am
- Sunday 6:00 am - 1:00 am