All the Dreamers is a collection of candid portraits made on board the Staten Island Ferry between 2014 to 2022. Its images depict ferry riders in moments of repose and respite during an anxious time for the city, nation and world. The series reimagines the familiar ferry journey as an enchanted setting where everyday peculiarities and the individuality and resilience of New Yorkers can be observed.
- Nguan was born and raised in Singapore. His photographs contemplate big city yearning, ordinary fantasies and emotional globalization. Nguan has published three photo books: Shibuya (2010), How Loneliness Goes (2013) and Singapore (2017). Singapore was named as one of the ten best photo books of the year by The New York Times Magazine. Nguan’s images have been widely seen and disseminated on social media, where his work has been featured by the Instagram accounts of CNN, The New Yorker and Instagram. He is a graduate of Northwestern University.
A vibrant cultural center, the Alice Austen House keeps the bold spirit of the early American photographer alive by presenting changing exhibitions of Austen’s pioneering historic photographs and of contemporary photography, providing education programs for students, offering a range of cultural programs for the public.
Founded in 2011 in Brooklyn, NY, Photoville was built on the principles of addressing cultural equity and inclusion, which we are always striving for, by ensuring that the artists we exhibit are diverse in gender, class, and race.
In pursuit of its mission, Photoville produces an annual, city-wide open air photography festival in New York City, a wide range of free educational community initiatives, and a nationwide program of public art exhibitions.
By activating public spaces, amplifying visual storytellers, and creating unique and highly innovative exhibition and programming environments, we join the cause of nurturing a new lens of representation.
Through creative partnerships with festivals, city agencies, and other nonprofit organizations, Photoville offers visual storytellers, educators, and students financial support, mentorship, and promotional & production resources, on a range of exhibition opportunities.
For more information about Photoville visit, www.photoville.com
All the Dreamers
Curated by: Victoria Munro
LocationsView Location Details Alice Austen House
2 Hylan Blvd
Staten Island, NY 10305
- Monday -
- Tuesday 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Wednesday 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Thursday 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Friday 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Saturday -
- Sunday -